Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Swale House, East Street, Sittingbourne, ME10 3HT. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services, 01795 417330 

Items
No. Item

127.

Emergency Evacuation Procedure

The Chairman will advise the meeting of the evacuation procedures to follow in the event of an emergency. This is particularly important for visitors and members of the public who will be unfamiliar with the building and procedures.

 

The Chairman will inform the meeting whether there is a planned evacuation drill due to take place, what the alarm sounds like (i.e. ringing bells), where the closest emergency exit route is, and where the second closest emergency exit route is, in the event that the closest exit or route is blocked.

 

The Chairman will inform the meeting that:

 

(a) in the event of the alarm sounding, everybody must leave the building via the nearest safe available exit and gather at the Assembly points at the far side of the Car Park. Nobody must leave the assembly point until everybody can be accounted for and nobody must return to the building until the Chairman has informed them that it is safe to do so; and

 

(b) the lifts must not be used in the event of an evacuation.

 

Any officers present at the meeting will aid with the evacuation.

 

It is important that the Chairman is informed of any person attending who is disabled or unable to use the stairs, so that suitable arrangements may be made in the event of an emergency.

 

Minutes:

The Chairman ensured that those present were aware of the emergency evacuation procedure.

128.

Minutes

To approve the Minutes of the Meeting held on 21 January 2021 (Minute Nos. 415 – 422) and the Extraordinary Meeting held on 11 March 2021 (Minute Nos. 528 - 530) as correct records, and to accept the minutes of the Licensing Sub-Committee meetings held on:

 

Licensing Sub-Committee 10am (02.06.21) Minute Nos. 26 - 29

Licensing Sub-Committee 11.30am (02.06.21) Minute Nos. 30 - 33

Licensing Sub-Committee 2pm (02.06.21) Minute Nos.34 - 37

Licensing Sub-Committee 3.30pm (02.06.21) Minute Nos. 38 - 41

Minutes:

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 21 January 2021 (Minute Nos. 415 – 422) and the Extraordinary Meeting held on 11 March 2021 (Minute Nos. 528 – 530) were taken as read, approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records.

 

The Minutes of the following Sub-Committees were accepted by the Chairman:

 

Licensing Sub-Committee 2 June 2021 (10 am) Minute Nos. 26 – 29

Licensing Sub-Committee 2 June 2021 (11.30 am) Minute Nos. 30 - 33

Licensing Sub-Committee 2 June 2021 (2 pm) Minute Nos. 34 - 37

Licensing Sub-Committee 2 June 2021 (3.30 pm) Minute Nos. 38 - 41

 

129.

Declarations of Interest

Councillors should not act or take decisions in order to gain financial or other material benefits for  themselves or their spouse, civil partner or person with whom they are living with as a spouse or civil partner.  They must declare and resolve any interests and relationships.

 

The Chairman will ask Members if they have any interests to declare in respect of items on this agenda, under the following headings:

 

(a)          Disclosable Pecuniary Interests (DPI) under the Localism Act 2011.  The nature as well as the existence of any such interest must be declared.  After declaring a DPI, the Member must leave the meeting and not take part in the discussion or vote.  This applies even if there is provision for public speaking.

 

(b)          Disclosable Non Pecuniary Interests (DNPI) under the Code of Conduct adopted by the Council in May 2012.  The nature as well as the existence of any such interest must be declared.  After declaring a DNPI interest, the Member may stay, speak and vote on the matter.

 

(c)           Where it is possible that a fair-minded and informed observer, having considered the facts would conclude that there was a real possibility that the Member might be predetermined or biased the Member should declare their predetermination or bias and then leave the meeting while that item is considered.

 

Advice to Members:  If any Councillor has any doubt about the existence or nature of any DPI or DNPI which he/she may have in any item on this agenda, he/she should seek advice from the Monitoring Officer, the Head of Legal or from other Solicitors in Legal Services as early as possible, and in advance of the Meeting.

 

Minutes:

No interests were declared.

Part B Minutes for Information

130.

Public Session

The Council operates a scheme of public speaking at meetings of the General Licensing Committee.  Requests to speak at the meeting must be registered by Democratic Services by 4.30pm on Friday 25 June 2021 and must be related to an item on the Agenda.  Each speaker has a maximum of three minutes to speak.

 

Minutes:

No one had registered to speak in the Public Session.

131.

Review of Scrap Metal Policy pdf icon PDF 92 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Licensing Officer introduced the report which provided information and guidance on a new draft Scrap Metal Dealers Licensing Policy which required Members’ comments and approval, prior to formal public consultation.  The Licensing Officer gave an overview of the report.  The results of the consultation would be reported back to the General Licensing Committee on 9 September 2021.

 

Members were invited to ask questions and make comments.

 

A Member referred to paragraph 5.2 in the report, and suggested the Environment Agency be added to the list of consultees, and the Licensing Officer agreed to add them to the list.

 

A Member stressed the need for the Council to run a ‘tight ship’ in respect of a scrap metal policy.

 

Resolved:

 

(1)      That the draft policy for consultation and Members’ amendments be noted.

(2)      That the consultation process as outlined be noted and officers be instructed to proceed with the same.

132.

Review of Sex Establishments Policy pdf icon PDF 93 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Licensing Officer introduced the report which set out information and guidance on a new draft Sex Establishments and Sexual Entertainments policy, which required comments and approval from Members, prior to formal public consultation.  The Licensing Officer gave an overview of the report.  The results of the consultation would be reported back to the General Licensing Committee on 9 September 2021.

 

Members were invited to ask questions and make comments.

 

A  Member referred to paragraph 2.3 in the report and said that he understood the sex establishment noted in the report was being sold as a going concern, and asked whether the establishment was actually closed?  The Licensing Officer explained that the annual fee on the premises had not been paid, and so the licence was now in abeyance until it was repaid by any future licence holder, and then the licence would continue.

 

Resolved:

 

(1)      That the draft policy for consultation and any amendments be noted.

(2)      That the consultation process be noted and officers proceed with the same.