Review of Polling Districts and Places
The Committee considered the report of the Democratic and Electoral Services Manager which advised that in preparation for the elections in May 2019, a review of polling districts and places had been undertaken. Attention was drawn to Appendix I of the report which set-out details of polling districts and places where changes had been suggested. Councillor Mike Baldock’s comments were circulated to Members.
In respect of the Borden and Grove Park Ward, Members considered the suggestion that had been made to set up a new polling district for voters in the New Zealand Estate, Sittingbourne. In response to a question, the Electoral Services Officer advised that the cost of hiring a mobile venue would be around £5,000 - £5,500 which also included the cost of a generator. After further consideration, Members considered that given that electors in that area had voted at Grove Park School since 2015, the current arrangements should continue.
There was also discussion regarding the arrangements for voting where Parish and Borough elections were held on the same day.
The Vice-Chairman-in-the-Chair proposed that there should be 84 polling districts (i.e. to agree the additional polling districts set out in Appendix I with the exception of a new polling district in the Borden and Grove Park ward) and this was seconded by Councillor Duncan Dewar-Whalley.
(1) That the Council be advised that the Committee considered Appendix I and recommends that the Council agrees changes to the current polling districts and places so that there are 84 polling districts, with voters in the New Zealand Estate, Sittingbourne, continuing to vote at Grove Park School.
(2) That the arrangements for voting as set out in Appendix II of the report be noted which will continue for the May 2019 elections.
- GPC_Council report polling places 2018_FINAL, item 238. PDF 67 KB
- Appendix I_Polling districts and places_FINAL, item 238. PDF 113 KB
- Appendix II_Polling districts and places_FINAL, item 238. PDF 137 KB
- A_Bobbing, Iwade and Lower Halstow Ward changes small, item 238. PDF 5 MB
- B_Bobbing, Iwade and Lower Halstow Ward (Zoomed) changes small, item 238. PDF 2 MB
- C_Borden and Grove Park, item 238. PDF 707 KB
- D_Murston Ward changes small, item 238. PDF 4 MB
- E_Roman Ward changes small, item 238. PDF 3 MB