Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Virtual Meeting Via Skype. View directions

Items
No. Item

24.

Election of Chairman

Minutes:

Members nominated Cllr Mike Baldock to be elected as Chairman for the Municipal Year 2021/22, to be confirmed at the next Western Area Committee in September 2021.

25.

Election of Vice-Chairman

Minutes:

Members nominated Cllr Corrie Woodford to be elected as Vice-Chairman for the Municipal year 2021/22, to be confirmed at the next Western Area Committee in September 2021.

 

26.

Declarations of Interest

Councillors should not act or take decisions in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves or their spouse, civil partner or person with whom they are living with as a spouse or civil partner. They must declare and resolve any interests and relationships. The Chairman will ask Members if they have any interests to declare in respect of items on this agenda, under the following headings:

 

(a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interests (DPI) under the Localism Act 2011. The nature as well as the existence of any such interest must be declared. After declaring a DPI, the Member must leave the meeting and not take part in the discussion or vote. This applies even if there is provision for public speaking.

 

(b) Disclosable Non Pecuniary Interests (DNPI) under the Code of Conduct adopted by the Council in May 2012. The nature as well as the existence of any such interest must be declared. After declaring a DNPI interest, the Member may stay, speak and vote on the matter.

 

(c) Where it is possible that a fair-minded and informed observer, having considered the facts would conclude that there was a real possibility that the Member might be predetermined or biased the Member should declare their predetermination or bias and then leave the meeting while that item is considered.

 

Advice to Members:  If any Councillor has any doubt about the existence or nature of any DPI or DNPI which he/she may have in any item on this agenda, he/she should seek advice from the Monitoring Officer, the Head of Legal or from other Solicitors in Legal Services as early as possible, and in advance of the meeting.

Minutes:

No interests were declared.

 

27.

Minutes

To approve the Minutes of the Meeting held on 2 March 2021 (Minute Nos. 499 – 507) as a correct record.

Minutes:

The Minutes of the meeting held on 2 March 2021 (Minute no. 499-507) were taken as read, signed and approved.

 

28.

Matters arising from previous meetings pdf icon PDF 132 KB

Minutes:

Members noted the progress on actions.

 

A Member gave an update on walking and cycling routes around the villages.  It was suggested that a meeting be set up in the Council Chamber to look at maps to get ideas for cycling routes.  The Interim Area Committees Coordinator agreed to set a meeting up.  Parish Councils will then be asked for their input.

 

A Parish Councillor advised a proposal for brown signs will be submitted by his parish council for Bredgar and Wormshill Light Railway in September.

 

The Chairman requested any further suggestions for woodland management plans should be submitted in advance of the next meeting.

 

29.

Public Forum

Minutes:

No issues were raised.

 

30.

Local issues to be raised

Minutes:

A Member raised an issue on behalf of Hartlip Parish Council regarding noise from the M2 and other roads.  A discussion ensued and the following actions were suggested:

 

  • Bredgar Parish Council to check how they dealt with a similar problem some years ago;
  • check with the Environmental Response Team to see if they have received any reports; and
  • report back to the September meeting with a proposal to progress the issue.

 

31.

Promotion of the Local Area - Talk by the Newington History Group

Minutes:

Sue Flipping from the Newington History group gave a talk on history walks.  A discussion then took place and the following suggestions were put forward:

 

  • There was potential for brown signs in Newington, information boards at certain points would also be useful;
  • linkages with other villages could be explored as they all have a story to tell;
  • Sue Flipping advised that Newington History Group would be happy to be a coordinating body;
  • other areas could take inspiration from the work done in Newington and the Committee to see if this approach can be promoted elsewhere;
  • join the already completed work of different groups together for the Area Committee strategy;
  • this could be taken forward as part of the walking and cycling routes project;
  • a Parish Councillor expressed caution when including listed buildings on routes as they were often private homes; and
  • the Interim Area Committees Coordinator to check if the Swale Footpath Group is still in existence.

 

32.

Future funding

For discussion:

           Hartlip Conservation Area

           Bredgar Conservation Area

Minutes:

A discussion took place on potential funding priorities, the following items were suggested:

 

  • Continue with ongoing projects;
  • brown signs proposal for Bredgar and Wormshill;
  • potential positive activities for young people;
  • a conservation area in Hartlip and Bredgar; and
  • provide guidance on the Agricultural Bill for Parish Councils to engage with landowners.

 

The Interim Area Committees Coordinator to investigate youth provision and where to get guidance on the Agricultural Bill to bring back to the September meeting.

 

33.

Update on Area Committees Review

Minutes:

A Member who sat on the Area Committee Review Working Group gave an update on the progress of the Review.  The Working Group are finalising their report which will be presented to the Committee Chairs.  The Working Group have recommended that Area Committees consider what their funding ambitions and priorities should be for the year ahead.  Members commented that they would like more time to consult with residents and would seek their input ahead of the September meeting.

 

34.

Matters referred to Committee by Cabinet

Minutes:

No issues were raised.

35.

Matters referred to Cabinet by Committee

Minutes:

It was suggested to review the feedback on the issue of road noise raised by Hartlip Parish Council at the September meeting, the Committee would then decide if this issue should be referred to Cabinet.