Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, - Swale House. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services, 01795 417330 

No. Item


Confirmation of Chairman and Vice-Chairman

To confirm the Chairman and Vice-Chairman for the Municipal Year 2018/19.




(1) County Councillor Bowles be confirmed as Chairman for the

Municipal Year 2018/19.


(2)Councillor Ken Ingleton be confirmed as Vice-Chairman for the Municipal Year 2018/19.


Emergency Evacuation Procedure

The Chairman will advise the meeting of the evacuation procedures to follow in the event of an emergency. This is particularly important for visitors and members of the public who will be unfamiliar with the building and procedures.


The Chairman will inform the meeting whether there is a planned evacuation drill due to take place, what the alarm sounds like (i.e. ringing bells), where the closest emergency exit route is, and where the second closest emergency exit route is, in the event that the closest exit or route is blocked.


The Chairman will inform the meeting that:


(a) in the event of the alarm sounding, everybody must leave the building via the nearest safe available exit and gather at the Assembly points at the far side of the Car Park; and


(b) the lifts must not be used in the event of an evacuation.


Any officers present at the meeting will aid with the evacuation.


It is important that the Chairman is informed of any person attending who is disabled or unable to use the stairs, so that suitable arrangements may be made in the event of an emergency.



The Chairman ensured that those present were aware of the emergency evacuation procedure.



To approve the Minutes of the Meeting held on 18 December 2017  (Minute Nos. 402 - 417) as a correct record.


The Minutes of the Meeting held on 18 December 2017 (Minute Nos. 402 - 417) were taken as read, approved and signed by the Chairman as a correct record.


Declarations of Interest

Councillors should not act or take decisions in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves or their spouse, civil partner or person with whom they are living with as a spouse or civil partner.  They must declare and resolve any interests and relationships.


The Chairman will ask Members if they have any interests to declare in respect of items on this agenda, under the following headings:


(a)          Disclosable Pecuniary Interests (DPI) under the Localism Act 2011.  The nature as well as the existence of any such interest must be declared.  After declaring a DPI, the Member must leave the meeting and not take part in the discussion or vote.  This applies even if there is provision for public speaking.


(b)          Disclosable Non Pecuniary (DNPI) under the Code of Conduct adopted by the Council in May 2012.  The nature as well as the existence of any such interest must be declared.  After declaring a DNPI interest, the Member may stay, speak and vote on the matter.


(c)          Where it is possible that a fair-minded and informed observer, having considered the facts would conclude that there was a real possibility that the Member might be predetermined or biased the Member should declare their predetermination or bias and then leave the room while that item is considered.


Advice to Members:  If any Councillor has any doubt about the existence or nature of any DPI or DNPI which he/she may have in any item on this agenda, he/she should seek advice from the Monitoring Officer, the Head of Legal or from other Solicitors in Legal Services as early as possible, and in advance of the Meeting.



No interests were declared.


Public Session

Members of the public have the opportunity to speak at this meeting.  Anyone wishing to present a petition or speak on this item is required to register with the Democratic Services Section by noon on Friday 22 June 2018.  Questions that have not been submitted by this deadline will not be accepted.  Only two people will be allowed to speak on each item and each person is limited to asking two questions.  Each speaker will have a maximum of three minutes to speak.


Petitions, questions and statements will only be accepted if they are in relation to an item being considered at this meeting.


The Chairman welcomed the members of the public to the meeting and invited the registered speaker to speak.


Ms Faye Cooper presented a petition on behalf of local residents which sought a review of parking restrictions in Conyer Road, Conyer.  Ms Cooper explained the parking difficulties and safety concerns of residents since the restrictions had been introduced to assist large farm vehicles to access the farms off Conyer Road.  She added her support of local farms and businesses but hoped to find a compromise that would suit residents and businesses.  Councillor Lloyd Bowen, Ward Member, spoke in support of finding a solution to suit all, as the current restrictions only benefited some.  He added his concerns around parking in various parts of Teynham and Conyer and suggested a parking review of the area around the train station.


The Chairman accepted the petition which was passed to the Head of Commissioning and Customer Contact for a report to be submitted to the next meeting of the Board on 10 September 2018.


Bell Road/Highsted Road Traffic pdf icon PDF 55 KB

Additional documents:


This report provided an update on investigations into traffic and parking issues in Highsted Road, Sittingbourne and the surrounding area.


A Member welcomed the report but questioned whether there were 18 parking spaces available in Bell Road, Sittingbourne as stated on page 14 of the report, as buses parked on both sides of the road.  He drew attention to the final paragraph at the bottom of page 21 and advised that many parents also parked in the area at certain times of the day.


A Member said that if vehicles parked on both sides of some of the roads highlighted in the report, the roads would be impassable, and this was not reflected in the survey.  He suggested trialling different parking measures for short periods to monitor their effectiveness and impact on other roads within the area.  He advised that he had been liaising with the Swale Clinical Commissioning Group as 10 additional parking spaces had been identified within the grounds of the Memorial Hospital. He said that Fulston Manor School were in helpful communication, but Highsted Grammar School did not wish to consider increasing car parking for teachers or sixth form pupils within the grounds of the school.  Lastly, he drew attention to the Local Plan Transport scheme consultation which was programmed for September 2018, and gave choices of one-way options for Highsted Road, Sittingbourne and alterations to the junction of Highsted Road/Swanstree Avenue, Sittingbourne.


In the discussion that followed, the following points were raised:


·         Inconsistency in the numbers and percentages in several graphs on the parking survey;

·         figures were confusing;

·         supported trial measures and the liaison of officers, Ward and Kent County Council (KCC) Members and main stakeholders;

·         the area up to the Northwood Drive shops should be included;

·         stressed the importance of infrastructure before new development; and

·         highlighted the impact the transformation of Accident and Emergency Services might have on traffic in the future.


A Member thanked the National Health Service for their cooperation in monitoring traffic flows in and out of the Memorial Hospital.


The Head of Commissioning and Customer Contact agreed to follow up and provide more clarification on the issues raised and said that there would be liaison with KCC on actions going forward. He added that the consultation with bus providers was already under way but so far only one response had been received.


The District Manager advised Members that the proposal to install a footpath at the south end of Highsted Road, Sittingbourne, which had been discussed previously, and had been subject to land ownership issues, was now being considered again and any feedback should be sent to Paul Brand, Schemes Project Manager at KCC before September 2018 when the consultation was planned.


The Chairman reminded Members that the report was for information and for noting only and the Head of Commissioning and Customer Contact agreed to investigate the legalities and responsibilities for progressing any proposals in the future.




(1)     That the contents of the report be noted.


(2)      That  ...  view the full minutes text for item 78.


Formal Objections to Traffic Regulation Order - Swale Amendment 11 pdf icon PDF 56 KB

Additional documents:


The Head of Commissioning and Customer Contact introduced the report which provided details of formal objections received in relation to the recently advertised Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) Swale Amendment 11.


In response to questions from a Member, the Head of Commissioning and Customer Contact clarified that details in the format of the report and advised that responses had been received from residents of Sheerways, Ospringe.


In response to a question from a Parish Councillor, the Head of Commissioning and Customer Contact clarified that the position of the yellow lines across the garages in Unity Street, Sittingbourne was in order to reach the net gain in parking space available.


A Member drew attention to works outstanding on Main Road, Queenborough on pages 42 (a) and 43 (e) and (f) of the report and said that he had received confirmation that this work would be carried out in late 2017.  He asked if Galway Road junction with Coronation Road, Sheerness could be considered for yellow lines and sought confirmation that the taxi bays would be repainted.


A Parish Councillor suggested that as there was space available, the parking bay in Unity Street, Sittingbourne could be extended by a few more inches.  The Head of Commissioning and Customer Contact agreed to look at his suggestion.


A Member congratulated officers for working proactively to find a workable solution in Unity Street, Sittingbourne




(1)   That the contents of the report be noted.


(2)  Officers amend the Traffic Regulation Order for the proposed double   yellow lines in Unity Street, Sittingbourne, to allow one parking space to remain between the existing and proposed double yellow lines.


St. Mary's School, Orchard Place, Faversham - verbal update


A Member gave a verbal explanation of parking issues at St. Mary’s School, Orchard Place, Faversham and referred to the photographs tabled.  He explained that despite clear signage that 24 hours access to the school was required, cars were using the access opening to the school gates for parking.  He added that the current yellow zig-zags painted on the road did not prohibit parking as cars parked off the road.  The same Member asked that double yellow lines be painted along the whole of the road and into the access area up to the gates of the entrance, from the entry round to the exit to the school.


Another Member supported action to prohibit cars blocking the entrance to the school and advised that, as there was a similar issue at the Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Abbey Place, the two sites could be considered together.


The District Manager confirmed he had contacted the school to discuss ways of addressing the issue.


A Member suggested that as the cars were causing an obstruction, the Police could take action.   Another Member warned that other schools may also wish to consider double yellow lines.


The Head of Commissioning and Customer Contact explained the enforcement of illegal parking and the process to follow and advised that methods of addressing  parking issues could be discussed with the schools affected.




(1)  That a report to consider proposed double yellow lines at St. Mary’s School, Orchard Place, Faversham and Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Abbey Place, Faversham be brought to the next Swale Joint Transportation Board meeting on 10 September 2018.


A2500 Lower Road/Barton Hill Drive, Minster pdf icon PDF 74 KB

Additional documents:


The Project Manager (Major Capital Programme Team) introduced the report which gave an update on improvements on the A2500 Lower Road between Cowstead Corner and Barton Hill Drive, Minster and a junction improvement at Lower Road/Barton Hill Drive, Minster.  He advised that Breheny Civil Engineering had been appointed as contractor for Phase I, and that work had commenced that day.  He further advised that a low-key archaeological dig had commenced the previous week and, due to some interest in the site, an archaeologist was due to visit the site the following day.  The Project Manager (Major Capital Programme Team) outlined the Temporary Traffic Regulation Order  (TTRO) through Plover Road and Thistle Hill Way, Minster that was being prepared, and said that residents were being kept informed by newsletter.


A Member welcomed the update and asked if the TTRO worked well, could it be made permanent?  He referred to 2.11 in the report and asked for confirmation on the exact location of the proposed footpath and referred to the recent announcement by Aldi to plan to relocate to Queenborough Road.  In response, the Project Manager (Major Capital Programme Team) advised that the permanent TTRO in Plover Road/Thistle Hill Way, Minster would be looked at and the footpath connectivity might be considered as part of Aldi’s planning application. 


A Member praised the update on infrastructure and suggested an item on the Northern Relief Road could be added to the next Board meeting in September 2018. Another Member suggested an update on the Highway Infrastructure Fund application for Key Street. The Chairman agreed to consider the suggestions.


In response to a question from a Member, the Project Manager (Major Capital Programme Team) clarified that the north corner of the site at Barton Hill Drive, Minster had revealed a low potential archaeological interest.




(1)   That the report be noted.


Highways Work Programme pdf icon PDF 119 KB


The Board considered the report which provided an update on the identified schemes approved for construction in 2018/19.


Machine Resurfacing (page 76)


In response to a question from a Member, the District Manager confirmed that works to Avenue of Remembrance, Sittingbourne  would be carried out overnight, and explained the process of planning works with other utilities if possible.


Surface Treatments (pages 77-78)


A Member drew attention to works carried out on less-used roads in the Borough and highlighted that it would be more economical to resurface Sheppey Way than fill the potholes.


Street Lighting Column Replacement (pages 78-79)


A Member asked if there was an update on replacing the concrete lamp columns in Raleigh Way, Minster?  In response, the District Manager advised that a large scheme replacing lamp columns was due to start and he would find out the information required.  A Member highlighted the savings that would be made and thanked the officers involved in the scheme.


A Member spoke positively about the replacement of street lighting with LED lanterns but said that the new lighting had less coverage and suggested that additional lighting or lights with greater coverage was required.


POST MEETING NOTE:  The District Manager advised that work on concrete  units was likely to start in Swale within the next three months and that the overall completion for the concrete  replacements was currently May 2019, in line with the LED Project completion.  The outstanding LED conversions and the ornate LEDs in Swale would hopefully be completed by the end of January 2019, subject to weather and availability of road space.


Developer Funded Works (pages 80 – 84)


A Member was disappointed that despite the development at School Lane and Sheppey Way, Iwade being completed a long time ago, the road infrastructure improvements had not been carried out and the entrance was in the wrong position.  He asked that KCC continue to pressure the developers to carry out the required work.


A Member reported that work to the kerbstones was complete at Scocles Court, Minster but the waterflow was now diverted onto the road.


A Member asked for details of the traffic calming plans in Power Station Road, Halfway and advised that works at the Old Dairy, Halfway was now complete.


The Chairman asked to be kept aware of the design submissions for the Love Lane/Graveney Road, Faversham development.


Integrated Transport Schemes (page 85)


A Member asked for details of timescales of work on the A2/A251 junction, Faversham.



A Member advised that Rushenden Road, Queenborough was now complete and asked for an update on the Queenborough 20mph scheme.


Public Rights of Way (page 85)


A Member asked for an update on footpaths ZPF4 and ZPF5 at Faversham Creek.


A Member asked for an update on footpath ZR147 West of Tunstall.


A Member welcomed the completion of the works to footpath ZR531.


Bridge Works


A Member drew attention to the increase in the price of the Creek Bridge and asked for an update.


The District Manager agreed to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 82.


Progress Update Report pdf icon PDF 109 KB

To consider the Progress Update which outlines progress made following recommendations and agreed action at previous meetings.


Members considered the report which gave an update on the progress made regarding various schemes in the Borough.


Page 89 - 383/12/15


A Member thanked the KCC Cabinet Member for Highways for agreeing funding of £20k from the Local Transport Fund to carry out the work for the pedestrian crossing at South Avenue School, Sittingbourne.


Page 90 - 869/09/16


A Member updated the Board with progress on the 20’s Plenty for Faversham scheme by advising that the speed survey results had been received and there had been meetings with KCC Officers and the KCC Cabinet Member for Highways. He was hopeful that signage would be erected within the next year.  He also recorded his thanks to Nikola Floodgate, Paul Brand and the KCC Cabinet Member for Highways for their time.


Page 91 - 1228/03/17


A Member requested an update on Church Road, Eastchurch.  The District Manager agreed to provide an update.


Page 92 - 69/06/17


A Member requested that the information be updated to reflect the current position.


Page 93 - 406/12/17


A Member sought clarification on ‘substantial changes’.  The Head of Commissioning and Customer Contact agreed to a follow up response.




(1)  That the report be noted.


Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held at 5.30pm on Monday 10 September 2018.


The Chairman confirmed the date of the next meeting of the Board was 5.30pm on 10 September 2018.